Friday, January 13, 2012

"Ferrets"

JMJ.  I'm glad that this blog is my own, to do with as I please.  It is of no interest to anyone, with the possible exception of my friend,  Bonnie.  We (my wife, Linda, and I) put our dear Casper to sleep on Christmas day.  He'd been ailing for some time and we knew that he would be leaving us soon.  It was our privilege and our duty to help him to the Rainbow Bridge even though it was such a wrench in our hearts to do so.

I had taken another one of our boys, Kermit, in to see the vet today and met a lady and her daughter whose ferret, Daisy, had just been diagnosed with diabetes and maybe was in imminent danger of dying.  The daughter was sad but her mother was just barely hanging on although she put a brave front on it.  I could tell that she was distraught and asked what was going on.  She told me of the diagnosis and said, "I can't get another one.  I can't lose them so quickly.  She's only 6!"

I knew exactly how she felt.  No matter the age, the loss of a loved one is a terrible tragedy whether furry with four feet or furless with two.  What matters is the love that they bring to our lives and into our hearts.  Any loss hurts but how sterile our lives would be without  those pesky intrusions that mean so much to us, regardless of how long they last.  Our loves, furry or hairless, define us and make us more than we could have ever been without them. 

No comments: