Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Sure Path and Politics

JMJ. Senator Ted Kennedy just died. There are many instances of death when I can breathe a sigh of relief and say to myself--that person seemed (admittedly, to me) a good and holy person. That being the case, what is there to worry about in a person's ultimate destination? As an example, the wife of my dear friend, Bob died a while back. She is as godly a person as I am ever likely to meet and so says her husband.

Now, me I'm worried about. Jesus is a Constant in this ever-changing universe, despite what the United Church of Christ has to say ("God is Still Speaking.") I know in the very depth of my being that He will never leave me or abandon me; that to my last, dying breath He will be there at my side. What I'm worried about is that (for whatever dumb reason) I might leave HIM!

Time and again, in many different words, He has told us, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." He is the good Shepherd Who never abandons His sheep. But there are so many ways for the sheep to wander or to stumble. But ultimately I have to trust in Him for His mercy. Which brings me back to Sen. Ted. He left our Lord willingly. He openly espoused a woman't right to abortion, he espoused same-sex marriage and homosexual rights; he espoused foetal stem cell research and euthanasia. Can any right-thinking Christian honestly believe that Jesus would support any of these?

It gives me chills to imagine that I might unthinkingly separate myself from God but that one might do so intentionally is beyond my comprehension. May God have mercy on each of us, especially Ted Kennedy. Please pray for him.

No comments: