Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Death, Death, and Death

JMJ. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. God forgive me my sins. Many years ago, as a young RN in surgery, I helped with abortions. It assuages my guilt to say that I didn't know any better but I did. I thought I was being so politically- correct. Wasn't it, after all, a woman's right to end her pregnancy which she and another had thoughtlessly begun? After all, didn't society say, "If it feels good, do it?"

But time marches on and I have come to realise that any life, any human life, regardless of the manner of its conception, is of infinite value. I can liken back to those long-gone years and imagine that I hear the screams of the lives which I helped to take. God forgive me. I know now that what I thought then to be correct was reprehensible. I will never forget those silent accusations.

I just recently had a discussion with two fellow workers on the subject of abortion and we agreed up to a point. I said "Never" and they said "Maybe." "Maybe if the baby was conceived in rape or incest. Maybe it would be ok then for the girl to abort."

Linda walked Linus this afternoon. She came in tearful. There was a squirrel, she said, under the oak tree which looked like it was dying. Please do something. I went to look and found a poor animal on its last legs, gasping for breath, its eyes barely open, almost unable to move. Its mate, some feet up the bole of the oak tree chittered at me.

I have a pellet gun. There seemed to be no other course so I went inside and armed it. At this point I could barely see for my tears but I knew what I was being called to do. I went outside and put a shot into its tiny body. The poor squirrel twitched and then died. Even as I write this I can barely see for the tears as I could then.

I have never personally taken a life, human or otherwise, and it was a horrible wrench within me to do so. How can anyone imagine that it is ever right to end any life, born or unborn? I wish that they could have looked down on the poor, sodden sight of that squirrel that I rightly put out of its misery and heard the anguish of its mate. God help us when we lose sight of the value of human life, regardless of how small.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jim, my heart ached with you when I read this - yes, through my own tears. I, too,was 'liberated', and had control of my own body and destiny. Any solace I might find in never having had an abortion myself is negated by the fact that I might have, under pressing circumstances. I once even did consider it. I can't begin to imagine the anguish that must be felt by a woman who has done this. As I look at my two beautiful daughters and their beloved children, I thank our Lord that He led me to choose life for them. Perhaps I can acheive partial atonement by speaking up for the sanctity of all human life; by educating the ignorant and misguided; most of all, by devoted prayer.
P.S. Prayer to end abortion in front of Tilma, Saturday October 10th, I think at noon