Monday, April 27, 2009

Mother's Day

JMJ. My dear mother, God rest her soul, passed away this last April 15. It was sudden and unexpected but understood. Mom was not in the best of health. Her daily existence could not have been pleasant. She leaves behind six kids who miss her immensely and 13 grandkids (I believe) who will never understand fully how much she really meant. She left behind, too, a husband, who, though mentally failing, misses her so much.

I was the first of the children, the experiment, I guess. For two young people groping their way through a new life, I think they did a pretty good job. They gave me a deal of intelligence, a questing mind, and a love for the truth though I did not always tell it. I have fond memories of amazing self-sacrifice on their parts. We lacked for no material needs but we did not always have the extras. We were left to our own devices in terms of entertainment. At the end of a long day, there was not a lot of energy left to distract the kids. We entertained ourselves with our imaginations, the bare essentials which God gave us, and all without batteries or electricity.

I must explain the reason why I don't grieve for her. There are general and private revelations. The general ended with the death of the last apostle, St. John. Private revelations continue to the present time. In the 1930's, our Blessed Lord appeared on a number of occasions to a Polish nun by the name of St. Maria Faustina Kowalska. He asked that an image be painted of Him and that a certain set of prayers be prayed to Him at the time of a person's death. In exchange He promised that He would extend the dead person His Divine Mercy--a final opportunity to repent of one's sins.

On the way to Huron, Ohio, after learning of Mom's passing, I prayed those prayers for that Mercy. I'm sure she accepted His offer. Mom was one canny customer and in her own way loved Him very much, I'm sure. She's in a better place now, one where her love and beauty will be appreciated by all the saved, not just her kids and those who loved her so much. Gloria Deo! I love you, Mom.

No comments: