Monday, August 17, 2009

Friends

JMJ. My dear friend, Bonnie, chided me just recently for not having up-dated this site lately. Since April to be more precise. She had a point and in my own defense I've gotta say that I'd been planning to do so for a couple of weeks. I figured there was no hurry, though, since I'd had precious evidence that anyone's read what I've labouriously written. She answered this comment saying, "I go there all the time but I quit because there was nothing new." Did you ever leave a comment, sez I? "Well..."

Well, indeed. This one's for Bonnie and anyone else lurking out there, too, wondering where in heaven's name I've been. With Bonnie in mind I've been thinking about all the friends our Lord has given me in the course of my wastrel life. First, of course, were my family--starting with a loving mother and father who gave me so much love and support, my brothers and sisters who have propped me up when the going has been tough. (the twins, Lori and Beth, out of a clear blue sky just recently drove all the way down here from Huron, Ohio to bring lunch to my wife whose mother had died a couple weeks ago.) Family doesn't get any better than the one I have. I'm sorry but I'm real partial to mine.

Next, thirty-six years ago I was graced with a loving and only too-understanding wife who has stood by me so staunchly ever since for which I cherish her more and more each day. God knows why. And then there is that rare circle of faithful, obedient Catholics I've met ever since I came into the Church. I won't mention any name but Bonnie's because to do so might leave out someone really important and they are all so important to me. Lord knows there have even been a handful of Protestants! Horrors.

Yes, I have been truly blest and for all of them I say from a full heart, "Deo gratias!"

No comments: