Saturday, July 16, 2011

"The Woman In the Moon"

JMJ. I was walking the dog the other night. He gets a chance to smell smells, get a little exercise and use nature's facilities before I go to bed each night. The only time I mind it is during the winter when I can think of about a zillion other things I'd rather be doing. But Linus is a good dog and doesn't ask for much so I try to be charitable about it, regardless of the weather.

Anyway, I waited a little bit longer this night than usual and it was quite dark by the time we went out. It's a great time to think, BTW, and to pray a little, too. We hadn't gone more than a couple hundred feet and there it was, exploding before my very eyes in splendour--the moon, completely full and shining brightly in a cloudless sky. Yes, I think I could make out the "man in the moon" but it struck me how much more the moon reminds me of Our Lady. Now, like 95% of the stuff on this site, this is not original to me--I'm sure I read it somewhere else.

But it just hit me, I guess you could say. There she shone, in all her glory, immaculate in a gown of off-platinum, surrounded by the deepest blue. A beacon, if you will, to light our steps when the sun is not there to do so. To guide us from straying from the true path. How does She do this? By some innate power of Her own? Hardly! She does it by reflecting Her Son, our sun. It is His brightness, His refulgence, His majesty that supplies Her power. She is the mirror for us, taking rays from half a globe away and using them, dutifully, for His glory and our benefit. Think about that the next time you're out with the family mutt. Thanks, Linus. I owe you.

No comments: