Saturday, July 30, 2011

"An Idle Thought"

JMJ. I was on my way to check out paint swatches yesterday, driving down the road to our local Lowe's store about ten miles away. I was praying the Rosary although that's not unusual. I was using a rosary to count, though, and that is. Usually I just count in my head as I go along but I often miscount so the Blessed Mother sometimes gets 15 Hail Marys per decade instead of ten. Anyway, I had both hands on the wheel with the rosary in my left. I stopped at a red light and happened to look at the car next to me. It was driven by a 20-ish young man who had both hands on his wheel, too. He, though, was texting on his cell-phone as he sat there and then as he began to drive away when the light changed.

Unsafe? Of course. What struck me as ironic is that we represented two forces--the spiritual and the secular. Now, I'm not sitting in judgment on him or blowing my own horn. In fact, I'm not sure what the point is that I'm trying to make. Maybe just that we both chose different ways to make the drive productive. I think I'll continue to pray the Rosary.

No comments: