Tuesday, March 29, 2011

"You Can't Be One Without the Other"

JMJ. Ever since it became important to me, ie. soon after my conversion to Catholicism, I have wanted to be a disciple of Jesus'. I haven't been a very good one, I admit. Whatever small success I've achieved has been through the grace of God and certainly in spite of anything I've done. Still, that has been my aim--and a good one, an admrable goal to have.

But I was listening to a CD not long ago--which, I misremember. The speaker mentioned the concept of discipline and how necessary it is in order to follow Christ faithfully. Such as in fasting. You know--givng something up. I've never been great at that because I'm too focused on my material wants. Give up ice cream for a bed-time snack? Get real!

Now, being a disciple--I could shoot for that. I'm a great follower but a poor leader. I can follow with the best of them. But discipline? Discipline is the ability to control one's self. Discipline is self-mastery. What's odd is that they both come from the same root. It was one of those mini epiphanies I've had from time to time. If I ever want to follow Christ properly I need to master myself. That's gonna take some real work. But knowing the problem and it's solution is half the battle. Now for the hard part...

No comments: