Monday, March 21, 2011

"Lenten Thoughts"

JMJ. Ok, I'm going to repeat some things I've written of earlier. I'm 63 so my mind isn't what it once was and it's my blog so I can do as I please. So there.

The last couple of years I've taken to using only the Sorrowful Mysteries during Lent when I pray the Rosary. It just seems to be the right thing to do. After all, though Lent's outcome is Easter, the period itself is not what you would call joyful or luminous or glorious. It's sombre and that's the way I feel like praying it.

I've also started doing something else this year during my Rosary. Following the "amen" of each "Hail Mary" I add "mea culpa, Domine." If He could undergo such a frightful Passion on my account it seems only fitting that I continually acknowledge my sinfulness which caused that Passion.

Finally, there is one bright spot amongst the grey. Although it was MY sin that caused Him to sweat blood in the garden, and it was I who wielded the scourge that bloodied His back, and they were MY hands that wove the plait of thorns which pierced His brow, and it was MY hand which pounded the nails which gave us the first crucifix, it was I who helped Him carry His cross through St. simon of Cyrene. Thank you, Lord, for this small penance.

No comments: