Friday, October 10, 2008

Setting a Good Example

JMJ. One would think, from the title of this blog, that I reject any and all things non-Catholic. Nothing could be further from the truth! Of course I believe that the fullness of truth resides in the Holy Catholic Church. Does that mean that our separated brethren, those of the protestant persuasion are standing around in the outer darkness wailing and gnashing their teeth? Of course not. I don't believe that for a second and the Catholic Church doesn't teach that either.

I was raised Presbyterian. For one reason or another I turned to other religions about the time I entered college. I briefly dated a Jewish girl so for a brief time I embraced Judaism. Buddhism captivated me for an even longer time. To be different I looked into Islam, bought a Quran, read it, and even thought of converting. Those were my Lawrence of Arabia days when I even wore the headdress of an Arab male (which I made for myself.) Good heavens, I almost became a Bahai'i asI was dating one at the time. (I wonder what the relationship is of gonads to religion.)

In today's parlance, none of these "did it for me." None of them seemed to answer the questions that I didn't even know at the time that I was asking. One of my earliest witnesses to the power of Christ was a Korean convert to the Baptist faith. Charlie (an anesthesiologist, not my Catholic mentor) and I had long and involved discussions about Christianity. His living example evangelised exactly as St. Francis advised, "Preach always and if necessary use words." I owe this fine man much. Another righteous witness to our Lord Jesus is a fellow nurse, Jim, a Missouri Lutheran. Unassuming but uncompromising, I'm sure he put up with much from this poor pagan. You cannot imagine what a trial I was but I'm sure he remembers.

A third non-Catholic hero of mine is a young black guy who epitomises Christ's charity. He always has a sunny disposition, he decries the tendency of the black community to back the Democratic Party, and gives this poor, jaded man hope for the young people of our land. For all of you (and my many wonderful Catholic mentors) I give Jesus and His Mother my heart-felt thanks. You will probably never appreciate how much you mean to this struggling sinner.

No comments: