Sunday, March 18, 2012

"Prayer Power"

JMJ.  I'm not a doubter; please don't get that impression.  I guess I oughta be a Missourian 'cause my motto seems to be "show me."  I have such a huge problem getting things from my head to my heart.  Must be a short circuit or something.  It sometimes seems that an act of Congress is needed to overcome the blockage. 

Anyway.  About a month ago a friend of mine from out of town called and said he had an acute problem.  A couple that he is quite close to were pregnant with their first child but due to  career constraints were pretty sure they needed to get an abortion.  Needless to say, he was horrified, I was horrifed, and we were both in a religous/moral tizzy, to say the least.

Lovingly, he had counseled the two, pulling out all of the big guns of argument that he could think of.  I'm sure the Holy Ghost may have offered some that he hadn't of and he was calling to ask me what more could be done.  Actually, he had probably done a whole lot better than I would've given the circumstances.  (My friend, who shall remain nameless doesn't always realise just how powerful he is!)

My first inclination, thankfully, is to go running to Mother, just like I did when I was a little kid.  I just said, "We gotta pray about this right now.  You've said all you can say, now it's up to Heaven."  Hey, it may be trite but it sure does work--or so I'm told.  Most of my prayers have to do with physical healing for my wife, and for the conversion of souls so I don't always SEE a whole lot of results.  Had I been thinking a little more analytically I should have realised that their coming to my friend seemed to me that they wanted to be talked out of their thoughts of abortion.

Well, we prayed and prayed.  And a week ago I got a call saying, "Praise the Lord!"  They had decided to keep their baby.  All of a sudden that short circuit got a whole lot smaller.  The power of prayer?  Now I've seen it first-hand.  Who knows--by the time I die I might actually have learnt to believe without seeing.  Hey, it could happen.  Praise God for His blessing the Lent.

No comments: