Monday, May 16, 2011

"Birthday Gift"

JMJ. Today's my birthday. I'm 63 years old, by the grace of God. Oh, and I'm retiring from my job as an endoscopy nurse of 37 years. Life has been a roller coaster ride. Figuratively. From the most exhilarating of heights to abysmal lows, I've experienced it all. Lot's wife was turned into a pillar of salt when she looked back to her old life. Me, I've been much luckier.

A helmsman aboard ship, in endeavouring to steer a straight course, will not only rely on the compass before him but will occasionally look aft to gauge the straightness of his ship's wake. So it's been with me. Whenever I find myself languishing in a valley I look back and am always surprised by how far the Lord has brought me. At one time I thought that this progrees was the result of my own good planning but I was shown that it was His work (and His alone) which has brought me to where I am today.

Where is that, you ask? One day closer to Jesus, I answer. Though why He wants me, I'll never know. Amen.

No comments: