Saturday, December 18, 2010

"A Must-Read"

JMJ. I should have posted this a few weeks ago but then, I put the "pro" in procrastination. If nothing else you'd have a great idea for a Christmas gift made to keep giving and giving. (Sounds like the flu, doesn't it?) Actually, I'm writing about the book by Archbishop Chas. Chaput of the Archdiocese of Denver, entitled Render Unto Caesar. I finished it about a month ago and managed to do so, reading sporadically, in less than a week.

Although it's a call to arms to the laity, bidding them vote carefully, it is even more a call to militancy on behalf of the things that are God's. We need to hear this and need to hear it forcefully. Christ told the Pharisees to render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's. Americans in particular and most Christians around the world in general have the first part down pat. It's the second part that's the stickler. That's the tough part.

I think the reason for the difficulty is two-fold. Either we don't know what is actually God's and how to render it unto Him, or we do but have convinced ourselves that we don't need to do it or that we can render it as suits us. Americans are justly proud of our democracy but in religous matters we automatically assume that that same democracy ought to apply there, too. It doesn't. Our Church is a monarchy with Jesus Christ as our King and the Holy Father, the Pope, as His regent or prime minister.

God managed to create the heavens and earth without our help and I seriously doubt that He needs our suggestions as to how best to run it. We poor humans just can't help kibitzing, though. If I had a dollar for every time someone said to me (or in times past, I said to myself), "I don't think" or "I think that" or "It's my opinion", I'd never have to work another day in my life. That's a sign that we think that we know better than the Almighty. We don't. Archbishop Chaput disabuses us of this notion, does it well and charitably, and then shows us how to be Catholics obedient to the will of God. PLEASE pick up and read his book. Then e-mail him at his archiocesan web-site. He really does answer his own e-mail.

No comments: