Monday, November 1, 2010

"Another One For the Whore of Babylon"

JMJ. That's the favourite epithet for the fundamentalist: "the Catholic church is the Whore of Babylon!" Which neatly brings me to today's topic. If the Church is the Whore of Babylon, why in heaven's name has she produced so many saints? Good question, isn't it? I hadn't thunk of it until I listened to a CD made by (I think) Peter Kreeft. Even the biggest haters of the Church wouldn't think of disparaging St. Augustine or St. Francis or Bl. Mother Teresa.

Well, that's a problem for them to stew over. I've found another. Sunday's gospel reading spot-lit one I hadn't considered before...Zacchaeus. I was just amazed, sitting there in the pew listening to our Fr. Michael talk about the conversion of a notorious sinner. For Zacchaeus was a hugely wealthy tax collector. Now I am not hugely wealthy but I am a poor sinner and I was even worse prior to my conversion. But in both our cases, Zacchaeus' and mine, we could not resist the work of the Holy Ghost.

Zacchaeus was prompted to climb a tree, the better to see this Jesus he'd heard so much about. And I, I was inspired to walk into a little Catholic religious goods store in Berea called "Tilma." And our lives changed. All it took was a little opening, you see. Christ and the Blessed Mother took it from there. Zacchaeus climbed down from the sycamore tree a changed man. I went home clutching a copy of Archbishop Sheen's autobiography a changing man. That's the difference between Zacchaeus and me--becoming a saint is going to take me so much longer (if, by the Grace of God I ever make it at all.) Simon of Cyrene helped Christ carry His cross to Calvary, Zacchaeus gave half of his vast wealth to the poor and paid recompense fourfold for his sins. While I walk forward toward my sanctification looking back all the while at Egypt. All ye holy angels and saints, please pray for me.

No comments: