Sunday, September 26, 2010

"A New Rosary"

JMJ. Ok, this is just going to be a short screed and no, I'm not in favour of changing our Mother's most favouritest prayer. But I'll tell you one thing for sure. When I became a Catholic it took me a good while to remember the three mysteries and then remember which days they were said on. (Is that good sentence structure? Never mind.)

And then His late Holiness, John Paul II added the luminous mysteries. Talk about throwing a monkey wrench in the works! Back to the old drawing board. And which days do we say which mysteries on now? I know it's not really that big a deal and maybe I'm exaggerating a bit... And then I got the IDEA. Why not just start a rosary and make it never-ending? A perpetual rosary.

So I did it. I had just purchased an MP3 player for listening to music while walking the dog and doing other chores. Put a bunch of good albums on it, put it in the drawer, and haven't used it a lick since then. I started praying the Rosary most any time I had down-time. Driving the car, walking the dog, working in the yard, ad infinitum.

I pray all four mysteries in order and then the finishing prayers and start over. Doesn't matter what day it is, nothing to remember. Ok, it's not usually any more attentive than it ever was--I'm still working hard on that but I get a real bang out of saying to Her, "I beg to continue Thy perpetual Rosary, Blessed Mother." And then I happily pick up where I left off.

No comments: