Friday, October 16, 2009

The Priesthood of all Believers

JMJ. My friend Charlie is a caution. That's a Southron phrase that means he is so very special. He and I get together for breakfast as often as God allows, mainly for my edification. I value his insights so much! He has been where I am and has survived in spite of it all. It happened most recently this last Thursday.

He always says somthing that causes me to think. This time it had to do with the priesthood of all believers. Now, being a convert to the Church, I accept all that she has to teach. One thing that is so very important is that one attend Mass every Sunday and on Holy Days of Obligation. I accept that and have always done so. But without asking the why.

Romans 12, verse one says that we should bodily present ourselves, sacrificing our time, in worship of Him. This succinctly answers those who say, "Oh, I can worship wherever I am. I don't have to do it in church." Baloney! He spent three hours on the cross on our behalf, it only stands to reason that we can turn off the tube, get out of bed, and travel to where He resides, for one small hour, awaiting our presence.

But what Charlie was saying was so far beyond this. Christ calls us to the priesthood of all believers, perhaps not sacramentally as He does those who take Holy Orders, but to offer ourselves, our prayers, our intercessions, and our sacrifices to Him in conjuction with the priest who presides at the altar. This knocked my socks off! Wow!

It's almost as if we are co-celebrants at the Mass (though NOT sacramentally.) All of our cares, our weaknesses, our prayers, our small sufferings are being lain on the altar just as the water, wine, and bread are! In one swell foop we are transformed from observers to celebrants. This is one of the most amazing things I've had to think about in ages. Thanks, Charlie. God bless you.

No comments: